Photobucket

August 14, 2007

Commonalities


I've been bumping Common's new album 'Finding Forever' lately, (I'm a little late getting up on it). I've never been a big Kanye fan, but I have to admit he did his thing production-wise on this album, and I like the songs they chose to make singles. I've always thought Common (or Common Sense) was one of the better MC's out, and he always managed to come out with some solid LP's, "Resurrection" being my favorite.


After listening to the album I realized I have some of the records they used for the beats. Track number 11, Misunderstood, uses Nina Simone's cover of 'Please don't let me be misunderstood' off of her live album "Right on!" on Roker records. Unfortunately there is no date on the album, and it doesn't say where the performance was recorded. My personal favorites on this album are her covers of 'House of the Rising Sun' and 'Just in time'. Here is the one Common used, 'Please don't let me be misunderstood'...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Track 6 on 'Finding Forever', Southside, uses Don Covay's 'If there's a will there's a way' on Janus records. I caught a promo copy of this album a long time ago for $15, which is decent considering it's a pretty rare record as most of the good stuff on Janus is. The song was first sampled by Large Professor for Akinyele's 'I luh huh', which was one of my favorite beats from his album 'Vagina Diner'. Anyway enjoy the tracks...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment