Photobucket

January 8, 2009

Freddie Hubbard



There's a really good Jazz station here in New Jersey, Newark's 88.3, WBGO. If you're in the area and you like Jazz, I would highly recommend peeping it. They have a variety of good programming, ranging from profiles of jazz greats, live performances (the other day they were playing a live, in studio broadcast of Eartha Kitt, although I'm pretty sure it was a rebroadcast considering she just passed two weeks ago), to one of my favorite shows to listen to on my ride home from school, 'the treatment', where actors and directors are interviewed about their work (last time I heard it they were interviewing Quantum of Solace director Marc Foster). One of the DJ's on the station is also a regular at one of my favorite record shops.


I tuned in last week to hear the unfortunate news that Jazz legend Freddie Hubbard has passed away. They have been profiling his music all week. I'm pretty sure 'First Light' and 'Sky Dive' were in the first batch of Jazz records I've ever purchased, and I have a few of his other albums and enjoy them all. Those of you out there who dig know Freddie Hubbard for sure has some heat. As a tribute to one of the greatest trumpet players, enjoy Freddie Hubbard's 'Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey' which you may recognize as the horn sample for Souls of Mischief's 'Never no More'. 'First Light' was a grammy award winning album. R.I.P. Freddie Hubbard and Eartha Kitt, you will be missed


Freddie Hubbard - 'Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey'

0 comments:

Post a Comment