Photobucket

August 17, 2008

West Coastin'


I remember hearing this after a friend of mine got it back in the day, but I never owned any of MC Ren's solo shit. I just caught this album on vinyl a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty dope. In the tradition of all NWA stuff, Ren really pushes the line of what you can get away with saying on a record. Easy-E, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, all got serious shine after NWA disbanded, but MC Ren remained kind of slept on. I always thought he was just as good, if not better, than everyone else in the group. This EP 'Kizz my Black Azz' includes songs from his album 'Life Sentence'. The only shout out he gives on the record- 'Special Thankz 2 Everybody that stuffed they mouth with tissue'. Classic.


I've been on the West Coast tip lately, rocking my favorite Ice-T album 'The Iceberg'. A lot of people might say Power is the better album, but Iceberg was always my favorite. I can't really say I liked too much of his stuff after the 80's, but dude is definitey a legend, argueably the first MC to tackle the gang violence subject matter. I'm not about to speak on the Soulja boy conflict because I couldn't care less, I'll leave that to all the other blogs. I'll just hit you with one of my favorites from the Iceberg 'peel their caps back'.




Ice-T - Peel Their Caps Back

1 comment:

  1. 12 o'clock midnight, posse was airtight...

    ReplyDelete